Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Training plan & Toes

I have finally decided on the training plan that I am going to follow for the upcoming Portland Marathon. I wanted to step it up a bit since my leg held up well to my last training plan. I am a huge fan of any Hal Higdon plan, but Julie sent me a great plan that Sarah Bowen Shea of Run Like a Mother is doing. I was drawn to it because it is challenging, it fits my upcoming race schedule (she is doing the Eugene Women's half & has it written into the plan) & there is something fun about knowing that another local mom is out there pounding the pavement too. That said, I am going to follow it as closely as I can with my training happening during my husbands busiest travel time of the year. I am sure I will even have to do several runs on a treadmill. I am determined to get babysitters for my long runs and take my kids to the track with me for sprints. So, I followed it loosely last week and started today with a 90 minute hill run at Rocky Butte (suggestion courtesy of Sarah!) with Julie.


Julie & I at the top of Rocky Butte (thank you for our sweet hubbies who got up with the kiddos!)

So so far this week:
Tuesday: 5 miles on treadmill 43:06 - need to get the foot pod for my Garmin so I can know my ACTUAL pace on the treadmill.
Wednesday: 90 minutes = 10 miles about 3 being uphill at Rocky Butte - nice change of scenery!!

On to the TOES!! Oh my word - if you don't like yucky feet pictures then skip this part. I keep promising Julie that I will post pictures of my nasty blister after the Seattle Rock n' Roll Marathon. Here it is....



I knew something was a little sore on my foot when I was running - but I was in the zone and just forgot about it & then later is was a much less worry than my medic tent visit. By the time we got back to the hotel and my sweet husband had me lay down and he took off my shoes and socks - I told him to be careful because my toe was sore. The look on his face was pure fear and disgust, he said " I am not sure what it is but you have SOMETHING on your toe." It was so funny. It ended up getting bigger so we popped it later - so Gross and kind of fun if you are someone who kind of gets a thrill out of that sort of thing - I know - I am disturbed.

I also found that I have acquired lovely black toenail over the course of my training....


Oh the joys of running! I know, I know - I certainly do not have the cutest feet to start with - but this certainly doesn't help in the middle of summer! Was already in a half size bigger shoe - jumped up another half size to see if that helps. I will just have to keep getting pedicures - if I don't lose them as well. And black nails are SO last year - haha!!

4 comments:

  1. hA! that's awesome...and your toe pretty much rocks!! ;) glad you made me do it today. I REALLY didn't want to. Starting to feel like I'm getting back in the groove. Thankful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know ashley... at ulta yesterday, i saw OPI has a fashionable goth line of really dark metallic polishes- black might not be SO out! way to get back at it girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word!!!! ugh! i don't know if i'd be tough enough to keep running if my feet reacted like that. and you are one AWESOME woman for posting these pics! haha! my respect for you is growing more and more by the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - your poor toe! I think you just insprired me to take a before pic of my feet to compare to in December when I finish my marathon training! Glad you picked a plan and good luck with it! 10-10-10 will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete